Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Musings on Moving.

I recently found myself with no job, thanks to a departmental RIF and relocation. Deciding that I'd had enough of the company and the DC metro area, I asked for a new place to call home. (Yes, yes, I know. Usually with a RIF, you don't get to decide about whether or not you like the company and want to stay. When the VP of another department found out about me leaving $large_isp, I was called and told that she would create a position within her department for me, if I was willing to stay. Yes, I am that good at what I do. Down, Ego, down!) I wanted to stay on the East Coast, but closer to the water's edge, set my rent amount firmly in mind, and outlined a few very general things that I would like from my new home, intentionally leaving out a location other than "East Coast, close to a large body of water." Two days later, a friend of mine from high school posted about a room she had to rent near the Gulf, two blocks from the beach, in my price range, and matching every other thing for which I had asked. Now, it occurs to me that if you ask $deity for anything and you get a speedy response like that, you should be going where you're being pointed, as quickly as you can.

Three weeks later, I found myself knocking on the door to my new house in Florida. Whether or not this place is my new home remains to be seen. I am quite enjoying the new location and feel more at ease here than I ever did near DC. Entertainingly, a friend of mine and I were talking, not even three months ago, and the following words came out of my mouth:
"I don't think I'd like it down there. I can't see myself living in Florida."
I've eaten my words so many times in the past that I have the perfect sauce for them. They barely taste like leather boot at all.

In essence, I have left everything that I know and great job security to move to an area I had never set foot in before. Again. For the third time. The only difference is that this time, I've also moved to an area where there is no work in my chosen field. When I told $old_orkplace's AUP Queen and privacy lawyer about my plans, she applauded me for being willing to leave my security blankets to go in search of Grand Adventure.

I have driven out of range.

No comments: